Sunday, April 15, 2012

What I have learned and how I can use action research


Action research is the process used to continuously self-assess, reflect, and analyze one’s administrative practices and take action for change based on the results of the inquiry.  The administrator constantly analyzes and responds to the effectiveness of his or her practices by seeking change in appropriate areas, reflecting, collecting and analyzing data, making changes, then sharing conclusions with others.  It helps administrators to gain deeper insights into their leadership role in school improvement efforts, and results in relevant and valuable change for schools.
Action research focuses on the concerns of practitioners (not outside researchers) and engages practitioners in the design, data collection, and interpretation of data around their question.    It looks at one particular situation and is viewed from multiple perspectives. 
There are many ways I would be able to use action research.  It can be used to increase student success by looking at what works and what does not, and then research ways to find best practices to ensure success for all students.  It can be used to motivate teachers and become a driving force for our shared vision and campus goals, and it can be used to identify and correct weaknesses on our campus.
Inquiry should be the core of many decisions made. It allows administrators time to reflect and to see if goals have been met and then make the necessary changes if needed. Action research is a continuous cycle. I personally anticipate using this with many decisions I will make. It will help me to be better prepared, educated, and able to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment