Gender Based Classes
|
||||
Goal: To improve student
achievement through gender
based classes
|
||||
Action Steps(s):
|
Person(s) Responsible:
|
Timeline: Start/End
|
Needed Resources
|
Evaluation
|
Create two fourth grade
all male classes of various academic abilities
|
Principal, Assistant
Principals Academic Coordinator, Literacy Coach, Numeracy coach (Lamar
Intern)
|
May-June, 2012
|
Third grade STAAR and
benchmark results, student cumulative
folders
|
Completion, CILT approval
|
Obtain parental consent
for each student selected to be a part of the study
|
Academic Coordinator,
Literacy Coach, Numeracy coach (Lamar Intern)
|
May-June, 2012
|
Permissions slips
Informative presentation
|
Completion, site
supervisor approval
|
Gather previous assessment
scores for each student involved in the study
|
Lamar Intern
|
June-August, 2012
|
Third grade STAAR and
benchmark results
|
Completion, peer review,
site supervisor approval
|
Analyze Mathematics,
Reading, and ELA benchmark results each six weeks
|
Literacy Coach, Numeracy
coach (Lamar Intern)
|
August, 2012-June 2013
|
Benchmark assessment
results in Eduphoria
|
Completion, peer review,
site supervisor approval
|
Analyze behavior data each
six weeks
|
Assistant Principals,
Lamar Intern
|
August, 2012-June 2013
|
Referral reports, teacher
tracking charts
|
Completion, peer review,
site supervisor approval
|
Compile the weekly
anecdotal notes taken by teachers involved in the research.
|
Teachers, Lamar Intern
|
August, 2012-June 2013
|
Notes taken by teachers
|
Completion, peer review,
site supervisor approval
|
Observe gender based and
heterogeneously grouped classes then record and compare observations
|
Principal, Assistant
Principals Academic Coordinator, Literacy Coach, Numeracy coach (Lamar
Intern)
|
August, 2012-June 2013
|
Observation forms
|
Completion, peer review,
site supervisor approval
|
Analyze Mathematics,
Reading, and ELA STAAR results
|
Lamar Intern
|
May 2013
|
STAAR assessment results
|
Completion, peer review,
site supervisor approval
|
Reflect on progress and
thoughts regarding the gender based classes
|
Principal, Assistant
Principals Academic Coordinator, Literacy Coach, Numeracy coach (Lamar
Intern), CILT, Teachers involved in study
|
August, 2012-June 2013
|
Anecdotal notes,
observations, benchmark results, behavior data
|
Completion, peer review,
site supervisor approval
|
Plan for the future
|
Principal, Assistant
Principals Academic Coordinator, Literacy Coach, Numeracy coach (Lamar
Intern), CILT, Teachers involved in study
|
May 2013
|
Completion, CILT approval,
site supervisor approval
|
|
Sunday, April 29, 2012
Research Plan
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Amy you and I have discussed you research proposal numerous times, and I think it is a really worthwhile and valuable project. But I was curious because although we talked about it, I didn't see your control groups mentioned in your research proposal. I am assuming that the students in those classes will also be mixed academically to match, or nearly match those of the two variable groups. If this is true, will you have to obtain parental permission to use their data for this study?
ReplyDeleteAmy,
ReplyDeleteYour plan seems feasible based upon the timeline. I agree that you need to determine what two other classes you will use to "match" as a control group. Or at least what other students with similar demographics, achievement levels etc. that you will use to compare.
Just some things to consider.
Dr. Mason
Amy, I love this idea--our campus actually discussed using this model for pre-STAAR test preparation. I think I would include some research on districts that have already experimented with this--I know I've read several articles over the past couple of years about the pros and cons and the results--if I remember correctly, much of the time the girls greatly benefit in the academic area, and there are less behavioral problems from the boys--I'll be curious to see if your research reflects this.
ReplyDelete