Sunday, December 9, 2012

Draft Action Research Project Progress Report


Implementation of Power Standards:  Does it Increase Student Achievement?


Needs Assessment
West Orange-Stark Elementary has performed below state average in Mathematics.  According to TEA, 63% of students from West Orange-Stark Elementary met standard in Mathematics in 2011-2012, while the state average was 83%.  Our African American students account for 63% of our students, which is our most numerous subgroup.  These students were our lowest performing subgroup.  After disaggregating the data and looking at scores from individual standards, I found that in third and fourth grade, students scored 70% or higher on only one standard for each grade level, while in fifth grade students did not scored 70% or higher on any standards.  In all three tested grade levels, male students achieved higher scores than females.  The average difference between male and female students was 3.33%.  Through analyzing these results, we decided that teachers need to prioritize a set of content standards so they can identify the content standards at which they will devote powerful, thoroughgoing instruction, and then they need to formally and systematically assess students mastery of those high-priority content standards.  


Objectives and Vision of the Action Research Project
Through the implementation of Power Standards, teachers will prioritize a set of content standards and insure a deep understanding of those standards.  The main objective of this project is to narrow the focus and teach the most important standards in their entirety.  All standards not identified as essential will be taught within the context of the identified Power Standards.  Instruction will transition from the traditional “mile wide, inch deep” way of teaching to “inch wide, mile deep.”  My vision is for students to become completely proficient with the identified Power Standards and be able to use transfer knowledge from the concepts of the Power Standards to understand and problem solve with concepts from the supporting standards. 


Review of the Literature and Action Research Strategy
Although I have not completely finished my literature review, I have read Power Standards: Identifying the Standards that Matter the Most, and I have began reading Balanced Assessment:  From Formative to Summative.  Both books pertain to Power Standards and why they are effective and beneficial. 

To begin the process of implementing, I researched the idea of Power Standards and shared what I found with my site supervisor and Assistant Superintendent.  When they approved the project, I conducted a training for our third, fourth and fifth grade math teachers.  I explained how to use Power Standards and why it would be beneficial for our students.  Our teachers then individually made initial selections for their grade levels based on their professional judgment.  At this time, I instructed them to consider looking at all standards through the common criteria of:  endurance, leverage, and readiness for the next level of learning.  Next, the teachers referenced the state requirements and state test data from the previous year.  They modified their selections as needed, then compared selections with the other teachers in their grade levels.  After collaborating, each grade level presented their selections to the other grade levels, then they were able to vertically collaborate and make needed adjustments.  The teachers then turned their selections in to me and justified why each selection was made.  Together we discussed and once again adjusted as needed.  Next, I presented the selections to the campus academic coordinator, the principal, and the assistant superintendent.  They each were able to give input, and the final selections were made.  Once we were all content with what standards were chosen to be Power Standards, the teachers began to implement them into their instruction.  The identified standards are being taught 75% of the time in classrooms, while the remaining standards are being taught within the context of these standards. 


Articulate the Vision
To communicate the vision of my action research project I have met with our campus CILT team and our district academic leadership team.  In each of these meetings, I articulated the relevant data emphasizing the need for improvement and expressing the potential Power Standards have for our math department.  I have also met with the teachers involved in the implementation and walked them through each step providing substantial assistance.  As new data has become available, I have presented it to all stake holders.


Manage the organization
Third, fourth and fifth grade math teachers are responsible for implementing Power Standards in their instruction and recording their means of implementation.  Prior to creating lesson plans for each cycle, the math teachers within each grade level and I work together to look at the curriculum and determine when and how each standard will be taught.  We determine how much time will be spent on each standard and what supporting standards will be taught within the context of each Power Standard.  After teaching supporting standards within the context of Power Standards, the teachers record anecdotal notes expressing their conception of the student learning that took place.  Teachers also record notes and results from formative assessments.  After each cycle assessment, I am responsible for analyzing and disaggregating the data, then sharing what I find with the teachers and administration.  At that time, I meet with each grade level to discuss the anecdotal notes they have taken and the new data.  If a specific class performs particularly well on any given standard, we will discuss what was different in that class and together we will learn from that teacher and create action plans accordingly. 


Manage Operations
To lead the operations of the project and set priorities, we put student achievement as our priority.  After every decision that was made, we referred back to the data and confirmed that the choices we were making were going to provide the best opportunity for improved student achievement.  Throughout the entire project, we have used a collaborative approach.  No decision has been made by one single person, rather, we have capitalized on cooperation and thoroughly explored all choices from various perspectives.


Respond to Community Interest and Needs
My action research project will serve the needs of all students by giving students a firm foundation to expand their knowledge on.  Through the use of Power Standards, teachers will more easily be able to provide students with differentiated instruction, and will more easily be able to identify the specific needs of each child. 

No comments:

Post a Comment